Gotham Volleyball Open Plays
Gotham offers Open Plays at various levels of play open to those who play in Gotham and those who just love volleyball. Open Plays offer an environment of friendly competition, with game scores but no running standings. Our Open Plays have firm eligibility guidelines for each level, to help ensure court safety and maintain the level of play. Because we put the teams together for you, Open Plays are a great opportunity for people who just want to come by to play some volleyball with others in a relaxed environment.
At Open Plays, teams are assigned randomly by Gotham Leader running the event, with the aim of distributing skill sets as evenly as possible across all teams.
Open Play is primarily designed for individual registration and participation. It is not a team-based program. We try to assign Gotham teammates who want to play together to the same teams, but cannot make any guarantees. Gotham Friendship Tournaments are a much better format for those wishing to practice and participate together as a team.
IMPORTANT: If you haven’t done so this season, please read over all of the information on this page before registering.
Spring 2017 Season Schedule
We anticipate Regular Open Plays will be offered throughout our Spring 2017 Season. Most Open Plays are held either at the O. Henry Learning Center, 333 West 17th Street, between 8th & 9th Avenues, in the first-floor gym or at P.S.51/Elias Howe School on 44th Street between 10th and 11th Avenues in the 3rd floor gym. The location of your Open Play will be listed on the registration page for your open play.
Registration & Key Information
- Registration begins each Friday at 12:00 noon for open plays taking place during the following week only.
- The fee to register is $15 per player, payable via Paypal.
- Registration remains open until each event sells out. If you receive the “sold out” message from Paypal, you will be directed to a form to fill out in order to join the wait list.
- Our open plays sometimes sell out as quickly as 10 minutes, so please try to register as early as possible.
- Registrations are valid only for the particular session for which you registered. We cannot defer your registration to a future open play.
- To ensure equal access, each individual may purchase only one spot per open play. For exceptions to this rule, see below the section on Limit of One Registration Per Person.
- To register, go to the Open Play drop-down menu in the red banner above and select your session based on your Gotham Division or, if not in Gotham, your estimated skill level.
- Gotham provides only one game ball per court. If you wish to practice prior to the start of play, please bring your own practice ball. Important note for using personal balls at Open Plays: Balls occasionally get trapped in the difficult to reach areas (such as ventilation ducts in the gym ceiling or under bleachers). If you warm up or play with your personal volleyball it is at your own risk. If it gets stuck, Gotham has no means or authority to arrange retrieval of lost balls, and nor can Gotham reimburse players’ lost balls or other personal property.
- Open Plays are formatted as round-robin pool play.
- Open Play gyms may have up to 4 teams in each gym.
- Teams may have up to 8 players each unless all members of the participating team choose to add a 9th player.
- Each team will get to play and referee games. Each team will play approximately 6 games.
- When there is a full 4 teams, games are timed at 12 minutes with a 2-minute break between each game. With fewer teams, games may be capped by points instead of time, at the discretion of the Gotham Leader in charge.
- There is no break between games — one game begins immediately after the previous game ends. Teams should be ready to take the court and begin play immediately upon the conclusion of the previous game.
- Teams are assigned randomly in advance with the aim of distributing skill sets and preferred positions as evenly as possible across all teams, while also trying to accommodate team and other reasonable special requests.
Rules & Procedures
If you are currently in Gotham, you may register only for open plays offered for your current Gotham division. We use these eligibility rules in order to keep spots available to players for whom the event was designed, and to maintain the level of play. If you register for an open play for which you are not eligible, then your registration will be canceled and refunded. If you have never played in a Gotham division, then if you are a beginner, you can register for our Division 9/10/PowerPlay open play. For players with experience playing, we have provided some general descriptions of skill level. If you don’t know where you’d fit, then please e-mail [email protected] about the level of play for which you are eligible. If you attend Open Plays regularly, and you are playing at a level different from the level of the Open Play, we may ask you to attend a different Open Play in the future.
Limit of One Registration Per Person
Because of high demand and interest in open plays, to ensure fairness and equal access to our events, you may register only yourself. If you use the same Paypal account to purchase more than one registration for the same open play and that open play sells out, then your additional registration(s) will be canceled and offered to wait-listed players. If there is a legitimate reason why you must register and pay for another player, you must e-mail [email protected] before you register that player, to explain the reason and circumstances. The other player must also email [email protected] before you register him or her, to request the registration and explain the reason. If we don’t receive that e-mail from you and the other player by the time the open play sells out, we will give the spot to the next person on the wait list.
Players may register only for open plays taking place during the week following registration. To ensure fairness and equal access to all events, and to keep our accounting and attendance records clear and simple, registrations cannot be deferred and fees cannot be applied to future open play events.
“No Pay, No Play”
If you get a spot of the waitlist or after walking in to see if there are openings, must pay the full registration fee first, before stepping on the court to play. The fee can be paid either electronically using your smartphone through the Gotham website or in cash to the Gotham Leader running the open play.
Cancellations and Refunds
If you cannot attend Open Play, please notify us at [email protected], so we can try to re-assign your spot. If you let us know before 3:00 PM on the date of the Open Play and we are able to arrange another player to purchase your spot, then we will refund your registration fee via Paypal. We cannot issue refunds for cancellations after 3:00 PM on the day of the open play.
If you aren’t on the court by the start of your team’s second game (~25 minutes after the start of play), and if the Open Play is sold out, then your registration may be canceled and your spot reassigned to a wait-listed or “walk-in” player. If requested prior to 6:45 p.m. to [email protected], we will hold your spot until the start of your team’s third game (~55 minutes after the start of play).
Sell-Outs & Wait Lists
If you see a message from Paypal that the event is sold out, then PayPal will forward you to the wait list request form. You can fill out the form and click “submit” to join the waitlist. The request to join the list must come directly from the player who wishes to join it. Players are added to the wait list in the order we receive requests, so please contact us promptly after receiving the “sold out” message. We start to keep wait lists only after the event sells out. Please do not ask to join a wait list unless you already tried to register and got the “Sold Out” message.
Occasional Delays or Changes in School Permits
Our entry into the gym may occasionally be delayed by school officials. Our permits with the Department of Education are subject to cancellation at any time and for any reason. For Gotham to play in NYC schools is a privilege, not a right, and to maintain our privileges, we must do all we can to protect and nurture our relationships with school custodians, security guards, administrators and faculty, by showing absolute deference and respect at all times, for them and for school property. To that end, we thank you in advance for your understanding and your cooperation in cleaning up after yourselves and removing all trash and personal items from the venues where we play!
Register by hovering on OPEN PLAY in the red banner above and selecting the appropriate Open Play in the drop-down menu.