For more information keep reading the rest of this page!
Then, if you still have questions, please come to our Leadership Forum, scheduled for April 18, 2017 at 7:00 PM. We’ll bring food, you bring your questions, and we’ll have a panel of leaders who are there to discuss their experiences. Please RSVP to [email protected] in order to attend. When you RSVP, we will confirm your registration and let you know the details.
How can I get involved? What opportunities are available?
Right now, we have some great opportunities for both new leaders and experienced leaders to get involved with challenging and rewarding positions.
We will be appointing the following leadership positions this Spring:
- Vice President for Training
- Vice President for Division Play
- Vice President for Activities and Outreach
- Members of the Activities and Outreach Leadership Group
- Members of the Tournaments and Open Play Leadership Group
- Members of Board Committees (Operations, Communications, Website, Elections/Nominations, Finance, Grievance)
- Grievance Officer
If you’re new to Gotham leadership and looking to get your feet wet, consider a position on a Board committee or a Leadership Group. For more details keep reading the next section. Then, you can apply for these positions here. If you’re not ready to commit to an “official” position yet, consider letting us know that you’d be interested in helping out with tryouts, Power classes, or community and social events (like Pride, Sangria Showdown, AIDS Walk team, etc.) And don’t forget, if you’re currently in Division Play, you can always run for Team Captain for the fall season! Those roles are elected, and there’s more information on how to sign up to run below.
If you’re an experienced leader looking to take on even more responsibility, consider applying for Leadership Group positions or one of the Vice President coordinator positions.
CLICK HERE to apply for any of these positions. Applications for appointed positions must be submitted by April 28 in order to be considered.
Elected Positions: Four “at-large” seats of the Board of Directors and Fall 2017 Captains will be elected later this Spring. Later in the season, you can to sign up to run for these elected positions. Information will be posted here when available.
The other positions on the Board (President, Secretary, Treasurer) are not up for election until next Spring.
Can you tell me more about the appointed positions I read about in the first section?
Sure! We have appointed positions for both experienced Gotham leaders, and those who are totally new to Gotham leadership. A lot of these positions involve becoming a member of Leadership Groups are elected and appointed leaders who oversee specific areas of Gotham programming. There are 4 groups — Division Play, Training, Activities and Outreach, and Tournaments and Open Play. The first two groups, Division Play and Training, are elected in the fall. But the other two will be appointed this Spring.
- The Activities and Outreach Leadership Group is responsible for all of Gotham’s social and community outreach programming, such as Season Parties, AIDS Walk, Sangria Showdown, fundraisers, Coming Out Week, the Pride March etc. and is made up of anyone who is interested in helping out with this kind of programming.
- The Tournaments and Open Play group is responsible for all Gotham volleyball-based programming other than Division Play and Training. This includes open plays, Friendship Tournaments, Gotham-sponsored NAGVA tournaments (Big, Green and Golden Apple) and Gotham tournaments (Spring Fling and Green Apple). This group is also made up of members who want to help out with these programs. Participation in these groups, especially the Activities and Outreach & Tournaments and Open Play groups is perfect for new Gotham leaders looking to get involved.
The Board also has a number of committees that make important decisions and do important work for Gotham — Elections & Nominations, Operations, Communications, Website, Grievance, and Finance.
- Elections & Nominations is the committee that, in the future, will be in charge of finding and selecting new and experienced leaders for all positions.
- Operations is in charge of reserving facilities for Gotham’s use, and coordinate our use of all of those facilities.
- Communications is in charge of all of our communications, including the e-mail newsletter, the website, and our social media presence.
- Website is working on a redesign of our website and database system.
- Finance oversees the Gotham budgets, member dues rates, etc.
- Grievance handles disputes that arise in Gotham. For the most part, these disputes are either a member who wants an exception to Gotham’s “no-refunds” policy or an issue of sportsmanship that arise between members of Gotham. These disputes tend to be very personal in nature, so we really look for people with good interpersonal and mediation skills to serve on this committee.
You don’t have to be a member of the Board to serve on these committees, so participation is perfect for new leaders who are interested in any of these areas.
For experienced leaders, we have three challenging coordinator positions, the Vice President for Division Play, Vice President for Training, and Vice President for Activities and Outreach. The Vice Presidents will run the various Leadership Groups, and coordinate between these groups and the Board of Directors. These positions a lot of commitment, attention to detail, and solid communication, planning, and organizational skills. The time commitment is pretty big — expect at least 10-20 hours of work per week. These positions are the only ones that have to go to both Board meetings and Leadership Group meetings. Also, experience with the Gotham leadership structure is essential to success in these positions, so that’s why we say these positions are for experienced leaders.
If you’re interested in any of these positions, please click here to fill out our Leadership Application before April 28.
Are there positions where I have to run in an election?
Board of Directors
Yes, experienced leaders can also run for seats on the Board of Directors. These are also heavy commitments with high expectations of the amount of time and efforts you can give. Knowledge of Gotham, its goals, and its challenges are essential to participation in the Board, so that’s why we say these seats are for experienced leaders. This May, we will elect four members of the Board of Directors. While we recommend these positions for experienced leaders, they are open to anyone. We strongly recommend you speak with a Board member or e-mail [email protected] with questions to learn more about these positions before running for them.
If you are interested in running for a seat on the Board, you must send an e-mail to [email protected] and include a maximum 250 word statement about why you want to be elected to the Board and why you’d make a good Board member. We have to receive your e-mail by April 28 at 5:00 PM.
Division Play Team Captain
We are also looking for nominations for Fall 2017 Team Captains. Team Captains select our Division Play teams, and manage the team throughout the season. Candidates for team captains have to be members in good standing in the division they are running for. To run for team captain (or nominate someone to do so), send an e-mail with your name and current division to [email protected] by April 28 at 5:00 PM.
I still have questions — what should I do?
We’re happy to answer any questions you have. Please e-mail [email protected] and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can! But don’t miss deadlines! If you’re interested in positions, please don’t forget to apply or e-mail as soon as possible.